Dún a Rí Forest Park covers 565 acres and is near Kingscourt. The park is famous for its wishing well and wide variety of shrubs and rhododendrons.
The 565 acre Dún na Rí Forest Park is just outside Kingscourt along the banks of the River Cabra and features a dramatic gorge embracing part of the Cabra Estate, formerly owned by the Pratt family. The Romantic Glen of the Cabra River, stretching the full length of the park is an area steeped in history and legend. It is said that Cuchulain camped there at night, while by day conducting his single handed defence of Ulster against the armies of Maeve. The Normans were here also and in later years the glen echoed to the sounds of Cromwells armies.
There are four walks of approximately 1.5-2km in length all with points of interest and plentiful, varied wildlife. Some more unusual highlights of a visit to Dún na Rí are the Ice House, Toba na Splinne Holy Well and Cromwell’s Bridge. The ruins of Fleming’s Castle can still be seen as well as Sarah’s Well. Sarah’s Bridge, built in 1801, is the starting point of many of the walks in the park.
The park also has an extremely varied plant community and as a result it is rich in a wide range of wild animals. Red and grey squirrels are common, as are stoats and rabbits. Mink flourish along the river and otters have been spotted occasionally. The Irish hare is a resident of the park as is the pigmy shrew. Norwegian spruce and oak are two important species in the park. The oak trees are managed to produce a valuable veneer crop.